Thursday, March 5, 2009

The Zilla controller arrives!

Ordered in August, and received today, my new Cafe Electric Zilla 1K HV controller has finally arrived. This is probably the most important component of my EV conversion. In a nutshell, the controller regulates the flow of electricity from the battery pack to the motor. This particular controller is in short supply (for the time being) and the company that produces them is looking for a partner to continue manufacturing them. For this reason, I placed my order the day I found my donor car in anticipation of the long wait. Here's what I received:
The controller itself is located bottom/center in the photo. It is quite heavy for such a small box. Above it (to the right) is the "Hairball" interface. This little piece of hardware allows for many options when configuring the electric drive system. One important feature I chose for my Zilla is the Hall Effect Pedal Input (-P option) that will allow me to connect the stock Yaris pedal to the Hairball without the need to rig up a potentiometer to regulate speed. Finally, a small bag includes some cables, a small tool, and other misc. bits. I'm very excited to have these parts in hand.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

dear lord...go man go!!! that is amazing!...

Unknown said...

Any update on your Yaris conversion project?

James Morrison
EVComponents.com