Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Demolition: Linkages and Windshield Wipers

There are a lot of little things that are mounted and/or connected to the transmission housing. My next task was to carefully photograph, diagram, and label all the parts that had to be disconnected or removed so that I could reassemble them properly since I am retaining the vehicles stock transmission.
Above: this piece pushes on the clutch fork, which in turn moves the throw out bearing inside the transmission housing.
Below: the shift linkage that come through the firewall from the cabin are mounted to the top of the transmission. 
Next I removed the front windshield cowl and complete windshield wiper assembly. These parts need to be removed in order to lift the engine out of the car. In addition, I found out that you can't remove the wiring harness at the ECU with these pieces in place. Everything is crammed into this engine bay.
Here is a photograph of the engine bay showing how everything looks when most of the disconnecting work is completed. At this point, there are some things I need to disassemble at the wheel hubs and the transaxle before I am able to hoist this engine out.

No comments: