Monday, December 8, 2008

Tools for heavy lifting

A friend of mine loaned me an engine hoist. While I wasn't quite ready for it, I didn't want to not have it when the right day came. So I loaded it into my Prius and brought it home early. While I have it early, I thought it would be a good opportunity to lift the motor out of its box and prep it a little.
Using some low-tack painters masking tape, I covered up the grills/openings on the motor to ensure that no debris would accidentally fall into it while I work on the car. Once fabrication of new parts begins, there is a chance that something could get in there and cause problems later. Problem avoided.
Here's a photo I really like. I wanted to check and make sure that I could position the hoist properly and get the engine out given the limited space I have in our 2-car garage. The Yaris is parked such that it is very close to the garage door (about 1 foot gap to the bumper) and there is probably 6 feet or so between the front bumper and the garage wall. So, I was concerned about getting the hoist in place and having room to maneuver. It looks like things will be fine.

No comments: