Monday, August 3, 2009

Fabrication: Adapter Plate (part II)

I know it's been a while, but here's a quick update. I helped my father put together a "serious-hobbyist" machine shop in his garage. He has a lot of projects he wants to work on in the future and has volunteered to help me machine parts for my electric car project. So, he's got some industrial grade tools now. The mill in particular is really something.
Above is a photo of the mill with the adapter plate clamped to it. Before drilling holes or machining features into the adapter plate, it was faced to consistent thickness of exactly 2 inches. There are minor variations in the raw plate that would throw the final adapter alignment off if not machined true. The plate is now ready for the bolt holes to be drilled. More on that soon!

1 comment:

Jeff said...

Dana! This is Jeff Barber! I want to get in touch with you!