Saturday, April 16, 2011

Removing the rear seats

Recently I decided that I'd like my Yaris EV to be a lightweight, performance, 2-seater EV. To that end, I've decided to remove the rear seats to install all of the batteries in the rear section of the car (plus some other components like the charger potentially). So this afternoon I decided to remove the 60/40 split rear seats. Here's a photo during the process:
The seats weigh in at a combined 90 lbs. That's some significant weight to remove from the car. Below are the rear seats once I got them out of the car:
All in all it was a pretty straight forward process. I used an E10 Torx bolt socket and my torque wrench to remove all the bolts that secured the seat mounts to the chassis. I made note of the torque they were installed to (35 ft-lbs.) incase I ever want/need to re-install them. Here's what the space looks like without the seats:
I plan on cutting the spare tire well out and fabricating an aluminum batter box that drops into its place that will store 36 of the batteries. Hopefully I will also be able to make use of the area where the seats were for the rest of the batteries (24).

No comments: