Monday, May 16, 2011

Surgery begins

This weekend marked the beginning of my journey towards creating compartments for the batteries in the rear of the car. I prepped the hatch area with plastic lining to limit the amount of dust/debris cleanup I'd have to deal with later. I also put up plastic to separate the front cabin area from where I was working.
Next, I began to remove the weatherproof sealant that frames the spare tire well so that I could get a clear view of the sheet metal seam I was using as my guide for cutting. Here you can see I've already completed cutting the length of one side.
In this closer view, you can see daylight through the cut:
At the end of the day, I stopped with less than half of the job done, but I learned a lot about cutting the body work, took it slow, and now feel confident about removing more material. It's slow going, but I keep moving forward.

No comments: